Douglin Set for 2013 Debut in Staten Island

Douglin looks to pick up his 15th professional win on Thursday night.

Written by John Archibald, Resolution Sports

Denis “Da Momma’s Boy” Douglin (14-2, 8 KOs) is looking to start off 2013 with a bang on Thursday night, facing a tough veteran in Jose Angel Rodriguez (16-2-1, 2 KOs) at the Hilton Garden Inn in Staten Island. The bout will be the first for the former 154-pounder as a middleweight in over two years, with each of his previous fights in the weight class resulting in victories.

“Training has been like we do it every other time, and we go hard in every camp,” Douglin remarked. “We just tried to focus a lot more on what I was doing wrong and fixing that, get a little better with the basics that we felt I might have slacked off on a bit. A lot of camp had to do with correcting some stuff, but it went well.”

A year ago, Douglin started off 2012 with a monster decision win over the previously unbeaten Steven Martinez on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights before falling to rapidly rising star Jermell Charlo this past June in Los Angeles.

“We’re just trying to keep moving forward,” he confirmed. “2012 started off really well with the Martinez fight, and then it went downhill after the Charlo fight. Those were the only fights we had in the year. So this year, we’re just looking to step on it, remain committed in the gym and continue to move forward.”

That bout with Charlo may have resulted in a loss for Douglin, but he says that the fight has helped him to grow as a boxer.

“Pretty much, I’ve just been learning about myself – how hard I push myself, the level I’m willing to go to get to a world title – just learned more about myself as a fighter,” he stated. “I learned a lot in the Charlo fight as far as keeping my head still and just finding some other flaws that we corrected. I’m just looking to become a better fighter, take what I learned from that fight and move forward.”

When asked what the fight fans in Staten Island could expect on Thursday night, Douglin gave an enthusiastic response as he thought about his return to the ring.

“Definitely expect a fighter who comes forward, hands up and letting his hands go,” he said. “This kid is tough, 16-2, never been stopped before. It’s going to be a really tough fight, but I’m looking to find my opportunity to get him out of there. I don’t even want to go to a decision. The attitude I have for every fight is that I want to go in there and impose my will on my opponent. I have that same mentality going into this fight.”

This card, which is presented by Greg Cohen Promotions, will officially get underway at 7:30 p.m. with doors opening at 7:00 p.m. for the general public.



Search Archive »




Browse by Year »

2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009