Game On: Malignaggi/Diaz II
Slated for December 12th

Sparks will fly when Malignaggi and Diaz square off on December 12th (Photo by Hogan Photos)

Rematch of Controversial Bout Lands in Chicago

Chicago, IL (Thursday, November 12, 2009) – After being victimized by a panel of judges in Houston earlier this year that cost him a decision to Juan “Baby Bull” Diaz, Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi will finally get his shot at redemption. In what looked to have been dead just a few weeks ago, the persistence of Malignaggi promoter Lou DiBella has now given boxing fans a much anticipated rematch between his fighter and Diaz on December 12th at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago.

“Sometimes rematches are forced and sometimes rematches are inevitable, but this rematch was necessary,” DiBella remarked. “I look forward to a great fight on December 12th and for all of the questions to be answered. I thank all involved for making the right thing happen.”

Malignaggi went into the backyard of Diaz for the first fight, where the two fought at the Toyota Center in Houston. The Magic Man quickly had the odds stacked against him once the governing board selected a seemingly biased panel of judges to score the bout, and he also agreed to fight down at a catch weight of 138.5 pounds. Further handicapping the Brooklyn native was the fact that the duo fought in a smaller ring that limited his ability to slip his trademark jab. Despite the circumstances, Malignaggi arrived for the bout in great shape and seemed to have overcome all of the obstacles that were placed in front of him.

“This is a fight that everybody deserves to see again,” Malignaggi said. “This is a fight where the wrongs can be justified. There were a lot of wrongs in the first fight.”

In what was an excellent fight between two veteran fighters, the night took an ugly turn when the judges went to the scorecards following that original bout on August 22nd. From the casual fan to the experienced professional, most saw Malignaggi winning the fight by at least two rounds and were dumbfounded by the unanimous decision that was given to Diaz.

“The public demanded this rematch, and I am looking forward to fighting Diaz for the second time,” Malignaggi said. “This time I’m going to get the win on my record, not just from the boxing community and the fans. We are going to clear everything up on December 12th.”

The fight will once again air as the main event on HBO Boxing After Dark, the third time the Brooklyn boxer has fought as the feature on the live telecast.



Search Archive »




Browse by Year »

2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009