KiXX Battle but Fall in Milwaukee

Sandre Naumoski and the KiXX showed strong will tonight (Photo by Contrast Photography).

Late Philadelphia Rally Comes up Short at U.S. Cellular Arena, 15-10

Milwaukee, Wisc. (Sunday, February 21, 2010) – The heart of the Philadelphia KiXX (5-7) was strong tonight at the U.S. Cellular Arena in Milwaukee, but an inspiring rally late in the game would come up just short. Forward Adauto Neto paced the Philadelphia attack on the night with four points, but the hometown Wave were able to hold on for a 15-10 win over the well-traveled KiXX.

Milwaukee midfielder Ryan Mack supplied the first goal tonight at 7:36, but Philadelphia defender Rey Martinez evened it at 2-2 when he one-touched a Neto volley at 9:26 for his second goal of the weekend. The Wave then reacquired the lead at 12:08 off a Mack to Travis McKenzie tally, hanging a 4-2 count that stood until the end of the opening quarter.

The second period was a defensive battle by both sides for most of the way, with the KiXX killing a Milwaukee power play and the Wave returning the favor on two occasions. At the 12:39 mark, a change in the score finally occurred when Guiliano Oliviero scored a Nathan Sabich assist. Philadelphia then answered at 13:24 when defender Joe Di Buono somehow wrapped a ball around the boards on the Wave end of the floor, and forward Anthony Maher was there to send the feed home. The 6-4 score would remain when the two clubs headed to the locker rooms for intermission.

The KiXX pulled even in this contest at 4:49 of the third frame, with Neto dishing a ball to veteran defender Pat Morris on the right wing to make it 6-6. Milwaukee defender Joe Hammes then ended the stalemate at 9:59 by scoring a three-point tally, and the Wave led at the conclusion of the third stanza, 9-6.

After a four-point run by Milwaukee in the fourth quarter made it 13-6, Philadelphia player/coach Don D’Ambra brought on Ricardinho as the sixth attacker with 5:15 left in regulation. The move proved to be the right one, as Neto immediately hooked up Morris at 11:13 and a solo strike by D’Ambra two minutes later made it 13-10. With the KiXX forced to stay on the attack, the Wave then held on to hang a final score of 15-10 after an Ian Bennett goal with 13 seconds left in the game.

Philadelphia next returns to action return on Sunday, February 28th, when the team hosts the Baltimore Blast at the Liacouras Center at 4:05 p.m. Tickets for that match are available now by calling 1-888-888-KiXX or by visiting

Search Archive »

Browse by Year »