Krzysztof Glowacki Stuns Marco Huck to Claim WBO Cruiserweight Title

Photo by Ed Tiller, DiBella Entertainment.

In one of the most entertaining bouts in recent cruiserweight history, undefeated Krzysztof Glowacki (25-0, 16 KOs) got off the floor to stop veteran Marco Huck (38-3-1, 26 KOs) in stunning fashion at Prudential Center on Friday night. The result, which served as the co-feature to a heavyweight affair between Antonio Tarver and Steve Cunningham, put the WBO Cruiserweight Belt around the waist of Glowacki, ending a 13-defense run as cruiserweight champion by Huck.

"The U.S. market is now open to me, and fans around the world are going to have to respect the cruiserweight division now,” Glowacki said after the win. "I've always had a thing against bullies, and Huck was trying to bully me in there. So I brought it to him. I want to thank all my fans in Poland and from around the world for supporting me. We kept believing, and that's how we won this world title. This is the biggest night of my life."

Glowacki started this fight as the clear aggressor, which seemed to catch Huck off guard. When the Polish striker blasted Huck with a hard right hand just before the opening round concluded, the defending champion knew that he had his work cut out for him.

Huck continued to look uncomfortable when the second frame got underway, as Glowacki kept the same type of pressure from the first round on him once again. He soon began to settle in better over the ensuing frames, finding some success with the counter right hand. However, Huck was lazily pulling back with his chin exposed before countering, which would cause his eventual demise.

After turning up the volume in the fifth round, it appeared as if Huck had finally found his rhythm, and he nearly closed the show in the sixth frame. It was then that he leaped into a sweeping left hook that landed on the chin of Glowacki and completely rocked his equilibrium. After about half a second, the blow caught up with him, and he soon found himself on the canvas in a world of trouble. When he returned to his feet, it looked like Huck would be able to finish him off, but Glowacki began to fire back completely from instinct. Somehow, he was able to punch his way back into the action and eventually made it all the way to the bell.

Over the next few frames, Glowacki was able to regain his composure, but Huck was finding his spots to seemingly acquire the lead on the score cards. When the championship rounds arrived, it appeared that he would be able to finish off a record 14th consecutive cruiserweight title defense.

As previously mentioned, Huck was displaying a bad habit of pulling back with his chin exposed in this fight, and Glowacki finally made him pay for it in the 11th frame. With about one minute remaining in the round, he exploded on a wide-open Huck with a perfectly timed left hook on the button that flattened him. Hanging by a thread, Huck somehow made it back to his feet in hopes of surviving the frame, but Glowacki would not let him off the hook. Tasting the blood in the water, Glowacki immediately swarmed when action resumed, beating on Huck in his own corner until he finally crumbled into the ropes. Without hesitation, the bout was quickly waved off.

"When I was knocked down in the sixth round, I didn't know where I was, and it took me a whole round to regain myself,” Glowacki admitted. “I still cannot hear well. I was listening to my corner, though, and, when I heard that there was only one minute left in the 11th round, I knew I had to come on strong.”

At the time of the stoppage, Huck was ahead on all three judges’ scorecards. The official time of the TKO came at 2:39 of that 11th frame.

Huck was unavailable for comment after the fight, and both men were taken to a nearby hospital for precautionary measures.

Search Archive »

Browse by Year »