Ring of Combat XXXIII: Preliminary Results

Heavyweight J.A. Dudley was victorious in the final preliminary fight.

Bookmark and Share

Lou Neglia’s Ring of Combat XXXIII headed into the Tropicana Casino in Atlantic City on Friday night with 15 solid professional Mixed Martial Arts bouts. The show consisted of three phases, with four preliminary matches followed up by six pairings on the main card and then five consecutive title fights. Below is a recap of the four preliminaries, which each consisted of two four-minute rounds.

Yaser Shaukut (1-1) vs. James Jenkins (2-0) – 145 lbs.
Representing Team Pellegrino, Jenkins did not need much time to pick up his second professional win and the first of four consecutive victories on the night for a Kurt Pellegrino-trained fighter. As soon as the opening bell rang, he immediately closed on Shaukut and quickly worked into back control to apply a rear naked choke. As soon as he got it locked, he began to squeeze the pressure, which caused a submission at 1:10 of the first round.

Whitney Francois (1-2) vs. George Glykas (2-1) – 170 lbs.
Francois wasted little time in getting this battle to the canvas and began to enforce some ground-and-pound onto his opponent. However, Glykas was able to work back to his feet and pick up a takedown of his own, but Francois soon reversed the position to regain the upper hand. He then maneuvered into back control and started firing off a flurry of hooks to the head of his opposition. Once Glykas went into a completely defensive mode, referee Keith Peterson called for a TKO stoppage at 2:54 of the opening frame.

Brian Smiley (2-2) vs. Mervin Rodriguez (4-5) – 150 lbs.
UFC veteran Kurt Pellegrino returned to the red corner for this bout, with Rodriguez fighting as a representative of Pellegrino MMA. The first round of competition was a good one for the Belmar, New Jersey, native, as he dominated a grappling exchange throughout the frame. When the second bell rang, he was able to slam Smiley rather early and moved into the full-mount. He immediately began to fire off a combination of hammer fists and hooks, eventually working his opposition into an arm bar to force a second frame submission.

J.A. Dudley (2-6) vs. Mike Parzych (0-1) – 240 lbs.
This match was an entertaining affair between two strong-fisted heavyweights. Dudley controlled early in the first round, but he appeared to be in a bit of trouble after he was dazed midway by a series of knees, strikes and elbows from Parzych. However, the big man was able to recuperate and ride out the frame. The second round was a different situation, with Dudley in control for most of the way. He successfully shot for an early takedown and rolled into the full-mount, next winding up and delivering repetitively heavy punches. Towards the end of the frame, referee Dan Miragliotta stood the duo back up, but Dudley quickly slammed his opponent back to the canvas and finished off a dominating round. The judges were then needed for the first time of the evening, and Dudley picked up the win by tallies of 19-19, 19-18 and 19-18.

Search Archive »

Browse by Year »